UPDATE: Get more details and register at bit.ly/teachactive.
A great partnership between DoIT Academic Technology and the UW Teaching Academy, since January 2015, the Active Teaching Lab provides a safe space and refreshments for structured explorations of the cool teaching tools and techniques that your peers are using to engage students and teach more effectively.
PROMOTING EXCELLENT TEACHING (WITH TECHNOLOGY)
As of April 2017, over 1200 participants have attended 77 Labs — 26 of which were led by Teaching Academy Fellows! Participants and presenters both consistently report that the Labs are useful to them and to the campus as a whole:
They also feel comfortably challenged as they learn new tools and methods to teach.
If you would like to share a story of using technology in teaching at an upcoming Lab, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPRING 2017 LABS
Entering its 5th semester, the Active Teaching Lab series is held every Friday from 8:30–9:45am — and, this Spring, every other Monday from 12:30-1:30pm — in room 120, Middleton Building. Register for upcoming labs, or read the recaps from past 75+ labs. To stay informed, check bit.ly/teachactive or sign up for regular announcements by sending an email to email@example.com. Please register so we can order enough coffee and bagels. Get the schedule flyer to hang on your wall!
PAST LABS —
If you missed an event, each session page has a link to a video of the instructor sharing: 1) what they wanted; 2) what they tried; 3) what happened; and 4) what they’d do next time. Or check them all out in our new, regularly-updated, easy-to-navigate eText compilation: bit.ly/ATL-ejournal
- 09.16.16 Slack with Vanessa Simmering.
- 09.23.16 Sway with Ian Muehlenhaus.
- 09.30.16 Padlet, Tricider, Dotstorming with Lauren Rosen.
- 10.07.16 SoftChalk with John Hollenbeck.
- 10.14.16 Kaltura with Rob Beattie & Caitlin Iverson.
- 10.21.16 Universal Design with Ruben Mota and Michael Mohr.
- 10.28.16 Online Rubrics with Beth Fahlberg.
- 11.04.16 YouTube with Duncan Carlsmith.
- 11.11.16 Google Hangouts with Nicole Olthafer.
- 11.18.16 Articulate with Andrea Mason.
- 12.02.16 WordPress with Kevin Ponto.
- 12.09.16 Analytics & Recommendation with Sharon Thoma.
- 12.16.16 Study Pattern with Judith Burstyn.
- 05.06.16 Google Drive with Tanya Buckingham. Session page
- 04.29.16 Timeline Software with Bronwen Masemann. Session page
- 04.27.16 CSCR with Margene Anderson and Emmanuel Contreras. Session page
- 04.22.16 TopHat with Laurie Brachman. Session page
- 04.20.16 Google Apps with John Martin. Session page
- 04.15.16 Genius.com with Jeremy Morris. Session page
- 04.13.16 Captivate with Dan LaValley and Josh Harder. Session page
- 04.08.16 Omeka.net with Anna Andrzejewski. Session page
- 04.06.16 Kaltura MediaSpace with Josh Harder. Session page
- 04.01.16 OpenAuthor for WordPress eTexts with Steel Wagstaff. Session page
- 03.20.16 Google Forms with John Martin. Session page
- 03.18.16 Workflow Visualization Toolkit with Alan Hackbarth. Session page
- 03.11.16 Electronic Lab Notebooks with John Puccinelli. Session page
- 03.04.16 GoPro Cameras with Kristen Pickett. Session page
- 02.26.16 Piazza with John Gillett from Statistics. Session page
- 02.19.16 Design Thinking with Pamela McGranahan & George Jura. Session page
- 02.12.16 Online Platforms with Andrew Irving from French. Session page
- 02.05.16 Canvas with Catherine Arnott Smith. Session page
- 12.04.15: Blackboard Collaborate with David Feldstein & Yuyen Chang. Session Page.
- 12.01.15: MakerSpaces with Catherine Stephens. Session Page.
- 11:20.15: Skype (VideoConferencing) with Andrew Irving. Session Page.
- 11.13.15: Flipping Lectures in CSCR with Aurelie Rakotondrafara. Session page.
- 11.10.15: Course Design in Popplet with Margene Anderson. Session page.
- 11.06.15: Google Maps with Colin Connors. Session page.
- 11.03.15: Google Forms with John Martin. Session page.
- 10.30.15: Flipped Learning Strategies with Lauren Rosen. Session page.
- 10.27.15: Kaltura MediaSpace with Josh Harder. Session page.
- 10.23.15: Photo-Mapping in Siftr with Margene Anderson. Session page.
- 10.20.15: Critical Readers in CSCR with Cid Freitag, Dan LaValley & Emmanuel Contreras. Session page.
- 10.13.15: Case Scenarios in CSCR with Margene Anderson, Dan LaValley & Emmanuel Contreras. Session page.
- 10.16.15: Moodle with Shiela Reaves, Jenny Chung & Josh Harder with Shiela Reaves & Jenny Chung. Session page.
- 10.09.15: eTexts with Colin Connors. Session page.
- 10.06.15: Adobe Captivate with Dan LaValley and Josh Harder. Session page.
- 10.02.15: Twitter with Catalina Toma. Session page.
- 09.29.15: Google Apps in D2L with John Martin. Session page.
- 09.25.15: Google Docs with Tim Paustian. Session page.
- 09.22.15: Course Design in D2L with Margene Anderson. Session page.
- 09.18.15: Diigo with Duncan Carlsmith. Session page.
- 02.13.15: Google+ Communities with Michael Maguire. Session page.
- 02.20.15: Piazza with Brian Esselman. Session page.
- 02.27.15: Synchronous chat with Morton Ann Gernsbacher. Session page.
- 03.06.15: Review with John Martin. Session page.
- 03.13.15: WordPress with Linsey Steege. Session page.
- 03.20.15: Wikipedia editing with Tom Dubois. Session page.
- 03.27.15: Student-produced Videos with Ryan Martinez. Session page.
- 04.10.15: Webquests with Lane Sunwall. Session page.
- 04.17.15: Siftr with Cathy Middlecamp. Session page.
- 04.24.15: TopHat with Ed Hubbard . Session page.
- 05.01.15: Scapple with Nick Balster. Session page.
- 05.08.15: Twitter with Shawn Peters. Session page.
The Active Teaching Lab is co-sponsored by the UW Teaching Academy, which hosts this page, and DoIT Academic Technology.