University of Wisconsin–Madison

May 2016 Minutes

Meeting Called to Order at 2:00pm

I. Opening Items
– April Minutes approved unanimously.

II. New Business

  1. Affiliate status
  • Affiliate status will be acquired by participating in the I-LEaP and TA-LEaP two-day workshops at the beginning of the semester followed by attending three topic-specific sessions (1 hr/session) during the semester.
  • A subcommittee will meet and discuss further details over summer.
  1. Members Only Events
  • Member Only Events will provide the opportunity to discuss mission, bylaw changes, and possibly a town hall atmosphere. The ExComm determined 2 member only events will occur during the 2016-2017 school year.
  • It was unanimously voted that the first Members Only Event will occur after the Fall Kickoff in the form of a luncheon. Room should be reserved until 1:30pm and two separate registrations should exist for each event.
    • Proposed topics of:
      • What are the T&L issues on campus?
      • What would you tell the TA ExComm?
      • What are your experiences in assessment, goals, and frustrations?
      • Steve Cramer speaking on Canvas
  1. 2016-2017 Budget
  • The ExComm discussed and allocated projected budget line items for the 2016-2017 school year. Discussed whether stipend amounts should be reduced for UW-TEaCH in exchange for a larger budgetary allocation to UW-TEaCH events. Jamie, Beth, and Adrian will discuss over the summer and bring back more solidified estimates. Additionally, Deb and David will discuss the possibility of eliminating the Symposium Luncheon funding line item with Steve Cramer.
  • Board members approved draft budget and Deb and David will be meeting with Steve Cramer in early June, and will present the final budget to the ExComm at the August summer retreat.
  1. Summer Retreat
  • The Summer Retreat will occur the first or second week of August on campus. Shauntal will send out a Doodle poll in the next week to cement a date. The meeting will include a bylaw change proposal regarding electronic voting.
  • Longer ExComm meeting will occur after the Fall Event to discuss the results and feedback provided by the Members Only Event.
  1. New Excomm Members
  • Discussed new member suggestions for 2016-2017. Determined that the new member identification process should include an nomination/self-nomination invite to Fellows/FFPs list.Potential Nominees for Fall: Trina McMahon, Michael Maguire, Earlise Ward
  • For future communications, ExComm members should submit communications materials to Shauntal by the 1st or 15th of each months.

III. Updates and Continued Discussion

  1. TASI
  1. U-CLaSS Update
  • U-CLaSS discussed the possibility of using Top Hat during lecture where students would submit questions and TAs respond to questions in lecture. In 2016-2017, U-CLaSS will be built into Chadbourne Programming and will be integrated with mentor training which includes more than 300 students.
  1. Fall Kickoff Planning Committee
  • Sep 23, 2016 7:30am–1pm. Symphony Room in Gordon Commons. See proposed draft schedule here.
  1. I-LEaP and TA-LEaP
  • Next training occurs on August 25-26, 2016.
  1. Debrief on Fellow and FFP Induction Ceremony
  • The ExComm discussed highlighting inductees on the website and posting pictures.
  • For next year’s application process, create targeted communications to have other award winners apply to become a Fellow/FFP.
  1. PFoT
  • 2nd Mentor workshop was in May. Presented PFoT poster at T&L Symposium.
  1. Debrief on T&L Symposium
    1. Pictures from Event Located Here.Communication Ideas.

      John put together a short report of what the Teaching Academy has been doing — with regards to DoIT-AT involvement and opportunities. Might something like this be useful for the UWTA in communicating/activating members?

 

Leave a Reply