Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Monday November 14, 2016
Law School, Rm 7205
8:30am to 10:00am
I. Opening Items and Announcements
Minutes from October meeting unanimously approved.
Announcements: Electronic Voting By-Law Change was passed at October members meeting.
II. New Business
Fellow and FFP Nomination Application Deadline and Canvas Course for Teaching Academy — Proposal
- Shauntal will send emails to individuals interested in the Fellows application review process. The Teaching Academy will send out a call for nominations to all department chairs and administrators.
- The deadline for the applications will be February 15, 2017.
- Jamie will edit the application review rubric.
- The ExComm determined that they would use the Qualtrics survey for the 2017 applications, but migrate to use Google Forms and a Canvas Course in the 2017-2018 school year.
- The subcommittee created to assist in the application transition process includes John Martin, Adrian Treves, Jamie Henke, John Z., and Jason H.
Health of Teaching Academy: Spin-offs and Affiliates
- At the Members Only Event, members vocalized their opinions that the UW-TA needs to increase faculty involvement, encourage its members to run for the ExComm, reinvest in its relationship with the Faculty Senate, and re-evaluate its mission statement.
- The ExComm discussed having designated seats on the Executive Committee for members of UW-TA spin offs. It is important for the UW-TA to maintain and bolster connections with “spin-offs.”
- The ExComm also noted that, in its current make-up, the committee is not representative of the Fellows overall, an issue that needs to be addressed.
III. Updates and Continued Discussion
Winter Reboot Planning Update
- The theme of the Winter Reboot will focus on the mission of a public university in the current political climate, how to effectively teach controversial topics in the classroom, how to create safe spaces, and discuss the concepts of civic virtue, civic engagement, and social responsibility. Event topic could be linked to the ELO: Social Responsibility.
- Aim to have Kathy Cramer of Political Science and Diana Hess from the School of Education to serve as guest speakers.
- The event will be held from 8:30am to 11:00am on January 20th, including a half hour for breakfast.
- In 2017-2018, LEaP workshops will take place in a 2 day workshop, rather than 1 hour meetings dispersed throughout the semester.
- The next UCLaSS will take place at the beginning of December and will focus on how students feel teachers should teach controversial topics in the classroom.
Next Members Only Event.
- The ExComm discussed having another Members Only event in spring before the Induction Ceremony.
- Potential topics to be discussed include revising the mission statement and changing the EC nomination process.
Next Agenda Item:
- Should the Induction Ceremony format be revised.