The March 2016 U-CLaSS chat focused on rethinking traditional office hours as “student hours”—as a time set aside for students. Faculty were on hand looking for student input on how to make that time more effective. When should student hours be held? What places on campus are most inviting for student hours? What should the format be? What do students hope to gain from student hours?
Here are what the students’ suggested:
- Be welcoming. Attitude is important.
- Acknowledge that both student and instructors’ times are valuable.
- Promote “student/office” hours in class
- Specify the type of hours: one-to-on vs group hours.
- Survey students on their availability. Be willing to make individual appointments.
- Expand office hours as needed.
- Be willing to get to know us.
- Make space for us (we need a place to sit).
- Don’t be distracted. Give us your full attention.
- Candy doesn’t hurt! (but no peanuts).